Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"Going North"

Sterling Earrings by Providence Jewelry Artist Heather Guidero
If you live in South County, RI, you know that sometimes you just have to do it; head "up north", meaning anything north of Wickford, RI. As I did yesterday for my traditional "Xmas shopping with mom excursion". Things are just more expensive in South County, and if you are on a tight budget as I am, then going "up north" is a necessity for holiday shopping. While shopping yesterday at the Warwick Mall, I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed by all the holiday regalia streaming from every possible corner. Xmas music abundant, choirs singing, people hustling by, and, in the words of Dr. Seuss from The Grinch, "all the noise, noise, noise!!!!" Being with my mom made it fun and the trip tolerable. Its a chance for us to catch up, and spend some quality time together. I love it.
Upon returning to my own home town of Wakefield, a sense of relief and calm settled over me.....how pretty and personal everything looks on Main St. The window displays at All That Matters, Purple Cow, Myopic Books, Orangelola, to name a few, all looked so warm and inviting. I love my little town. And I love that most of the merchants up/down Wakefield support artists and artisans in their shops. Most items are made by actual people and not machines or children.
I know that some of my presents this xmas will have been made this way, and i tell myself its because i cant afford to just by locally. I could just not buy at all, but I know this is not socially acceptable behavior and, being just as vulnerable as anyone to the idea of wanting to be liked, I succumb to the pressure. What does make me feel better is only purchasing a minimal amount of items from"up north" and supporting our local merchants to the best of my financial ability. So, it is with this sentiment that I extend to all my customers, a heartfelt "thank you" for purchasing your xmas/holiday gifts at my shop and from the others up/down Main St. We rely on you......

No comments: