Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Today's blog, "The Zone".

I have been known to advise my friends when they are working on some sort of project that, "it will always take you longer than you expect". Even though I know this, I still underestimate the amount of time and effort it takes to complete a project. Inevitably, something goes awry; a drill bit snaps, you cut your hand, you've run out of the type of solder you need, used the last screw that is the perfect size and shape, etc. When this happens, I suggest you take a break. Go for a walk, do some deep breathing, go back to it later. It will still be there. This can be hard to do, for if you are like me, when you find yourself in what I call "the zone", it feels as if there is some sort of instant bonding glue keeping you attached to that work. It becomes personal. Its between you and the project, and you are determined not to give in.
On those rare times when I have been able to rip myself away, I am always grateful that I have. Like now. I was working on something that keeps breaking. Writing this blog has assisted me in not screwing up a project more. Now my time is up and I must return. My head is clear and I am ready to face it again and conquer.

No comments: